Quote from an article written about Peggy Porshen - my idol and the woman who has single handedly transformed the cake industry from an out-dated pensioners hobby to a worldwide baking trend for all ages! I considered a cake making career when I was only 16, but being young and influential it wasn't really the trendy career to pursue!

"I asked Peggy about setting up your own business and she said that a reality check is one of the most important things to do! It may appear a bed of roses making cakes all day, but it’s hard work and you have to be careful with your pricing too. She recommended that you take into account your time and ingredients and charge it by three times your costs. Furthermore, Peggy commented that she had wished she’d studied some sort of business course as it is a business, not just having fun in the kitchen. Many cake makers don’t charge enough and really don’t make money from their cakes"

Couldn't have said it better myself!

You can read the whole article here
http://www.thediaryofacakemaker.com/peggy-porschen-question-and-answer-session/

Hot on Peggys heels, were Choccywoccydoodah, who have carved their own individual niche into the world of chocolate wedding cakes. Here's my tribute to them with one of my favourite designs of theirs.




No comments:

Post a Comment